Extruded Polystrene brand DOW STYROFOAM brand insulation offers exceptional performance when installing it directly on top of the waterproofing membrane. Depending on the use of the roof, the protection layers are selected from gravel, concrete slab, concrete paver, interlocking block or soil and vegetation for green roof.
The sky’s the limit for roof designs that combine energy efficiency and sustainability. That’s why one of the fastest growing segments in the commercial roofing industry is the design and construction of “green” or landscaped roofs. When planning an earth-friendly green roof, a roof that leaves the membrane protected with energy-efficient, reusable STYROFOAM™ Brand Extruded Polystyrene Foam Insulation is an essential component.
Protected Membrane Roof (PMR) assembly benefits
- Proven long-term performance– Membranes in PMR assemblies incorporating STYROFOAM XPS Insulation are still in exceptional condition 40 years after they were first installed.
- Closed-cell structure– The closed-cell structure of the insulation prevents moisture penetration, which could otherwise compromise the roof’s thermal efficiency.
- Thermal efficiency– STYROFOAM™ XPS insulation enhances thermal efficiency by reducing energy use and HVAC loads – just one way our patented solution helps lower a building’s carbon footprint.
- Superior temperature control– Closed-cell insulation helps keep the roof membrane’s temperature constant, reducing the harmful effects of freeze-thaw cycling and excessive heat, and extending the life of the membrane.
- Durability and reusability– The high compressive strength and durability of STYROFOAM™ XPS Insulation stands up to heavy loads. What’s more, the insulation can be reused in many cases, decreasing the volume of material that ends up in landfills.
- Versatility– A variety of compressive strengths and board styles are available to meet different roof specification needs.